Sunday, November 21, 2010

Lemon Pie & Guest Post: Jill

My guest today is my Mom. She is a mother of 4 only children.

We were born a few years apart and were all in different life circumstances. She helped make us successful. I talk with her most every day.

We arrived at her house early this afternoon after driving from ALL day yesterday leaving a balmy 60 degrees to 28 degrees.

Living hap-PIE-ly ever after

Once my mom told me a surprising truth.  She said, “Its obvious that children need mothers to learn lessons in life, but children teach lessons to mothers that are very difficult to learn another way.”  In my case, she was right. My children gave me some of my most valuable education.  As a guest blogger and mother to Recipe Cut Outs, I would like to share some things I’m grateful that this precious daughter taught me.

Lesson #1:  LOVE EVERYONE.  Journaling has always been important to her.  She’s lived long enough to have kept a diary the old fashion way.  She wrote in a bound book of lined paper with a pencil.  (Check wikipedia if the words “book” and “pencil” are unfamiliar to you internet readers.)  When she was around 10 years old, she wrote a line that yelled to the deepest part of my heart.  She penned, “I love everyone, even the girl in our class who has messy hair and stinks.”  Yes, this sweet girl is friends with all, no matter what they look like or how they smell.  More importantly, she unconditionally loves her impatient and imperfect mom. She loves.

Lesson #2:  WHEN YOU FAIL, HAVE A GOOD CRY, AND THEN TRY AGAIN.  This daughter has faced disappointments—some include but are not limited to losing student leadership elections, denial to grad school and difficulty finding a sweetheart.  In every case she stung, took fresh courage and made another--and sometimes another and then another and another attempt until she finally succeeded.  She has determination.

Lesson #3:  FAMILY MATTERS MOST—This beautiful educated daughter has great financial earning power—thanks to graduating with honors with a master’s degree!  Nevertheless, she chooses to devote her time, talent and resources to her family.  She spends her energies as a supportive wife and conscientious mother of two active young sons.  She never complains about the monotony of her work or the loneliness of her days. She also maintains excellent long distance extended family relationships.  She values family.

I’m a slow learner, but as I grow up I hope I can be like this cherished daughter from the lessons she continues to teach me..

Lemon Meringue Pie
Source: Emma Pickett from Grandma's recipe box

Ingredients:

1 cup sugar
1 1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon butter
1/4 cup cornstarch
3 tablespoons water
6 tablespoons lemons juice
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
3 egg yolks
2 tablespoons milk
1 8-inch baked pastry shell

Combine 1 cup sugar, 1 1/4 cups water and butter. Heat until sugar dissolves. Add cornstarch blended with remaining water; cook slowly until clear (8 minutes). Add lemon juice and grated rind: Cook 2 minutes.

Slowly add egg yolks, beaten with milk; bring to boil. Cool. Pour into baked pie shell. Spread with meringue.

I made individual pie crusts in mini muffin pans.
The finished product:


Meringue
Ingredients:
3 egg whites
1 teaspoon lemon rind
6 tablespoons sugar
Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry. Beat in sugar gradually, continue beating until well blended. Add lemon juice.

2 comments:

Hilary said...

What a sweet post. Wendy really is a very loving person. It's fun to hear about her from your perspective.

Susan Anderson said...

I only know your daughter through this blog, but It's clear that she's a very special woman.

You must be proud!

=)