Monday, October 18, 2010

Job Skills as a Mother

Being a parent it's the easiest job in the world. If being a parent paid 6 figures I'm sure more people would do it. The pay comes with the cuddle time and bright eyes and beautiful smiles. As with any job there is an exhaustive check list. Here are few examples of my own:

* Are they clean and playing nice?
* Why is it so quiet? Then I walk in to the abandoned kitchen with all the icing licked off the cake.
* Have they eaten the fruit and veggies I've given them? Apparently not if there is no icing on the cake.
* Am I teaching them how to not only function in society but to thrive?
* Is he breathing before I go to bed?

In addition to the physical and social expectations, there is the spiritual and emotional. The job is high stress and high risk. Rosemary M. Wixom gave a talk called Stay On The Path. A few of the statements in her talk touched my heart on how I can improve my job skills as a mother.

I believe that God has a plan for each one of us and wants us to return and live with Him for eternity. Part of my job description as a mother is to teach my sons to know they can return to live with a loving Heavenly Father. "If they understand the plan and who they are, they will not fear." They will not fear the certainty in the world around them because they will know that God can and will direct their path if they seek Him through faith and prayer. That doesn't mean that they won't have to work for an answer but the answers will come.

As my husband and I exhibit faith, "they will follow our cadence when they feel secure in our actions. We do not need to be perfect—just honest and sincere. Children want to feel as one with us." Underfoot has shown great concern when we are not "one" in purpose and strength in our home. He will ask, "What's wrong Mommy?" in the most sincere and concerned voice. He even will come and try to look in my eyes to "see."

We have debated in our home if we will home school or follow with traditional public education. As the conversation continues for the right decision, this statement made it clear that whatever the choice we make, we will need to continue to teach.
"The world will teach our children if we do not, and children are capable of learning all the world will teach them at a very young age. What we want them to know five years from now needs to be part of our conversation with them today. Teach them in every circumstance; let every dilemma, every consequence, every trial that they may face provide an opportunity to teach them how to hold on to gospel truths."

The world influences will continue to surround us, and I want to prepare my children to hold strong to morals and truths. Sister Wixom said, "Our children can find the courage to “do whatever is necessary.”

So it is time to roll up my sleeves and go to work!

For more comments and ideas from this talk look at this on-line book club:

2 comments:

Jocelyn Christensen said...

Great thoughts! I totally agree...we've gotta roll up our sleeves and get to work!

Kris said...

Wait- did you just say that being a mom is EASY???? Great, I'm an even worse mom than I thought, because it sure IS NOT easy for me. But, I did like Sister Wixom's advice to hold & cuddle them- that I'm REALLY good at!