Friday, August 3, 2012

Classic Cherry Pie

One year ago I made my first pie crust with butter that was delish! I took pictures and then it has been in my drafts ever since. I made this pie again this year. Yet I unfortunately had some "help" from Hurricane to "make" the pie.
The recipe calls for cornstarch which I was out of. I called my neighbor who had an extra box. She sent it up along with the baskets she had used and other miscellaneous items. Hurricane took the cornstarch and used it like baking soda on the carpet and SPREAD THE ENTIRE BOX. I called Dr. Daddy who chuckled and asked if he could buy some more.
He bought me more around 7 pm. After dinner, baths, beds, and cooking we had a completed pie around 10:30 pm. We couldn't go to bed without a piece and ate hot pie around 10:45 pm. It was still delish.

So even though the pictures are 1 year old, the pies were both wonderful.

Classic Cherry Pie
Source: Martha Stewart
Ingredients
  • For the filling
  • 2 pounds fresh sour (tart) cherries (or drained thawed frozen), pitted (6 cups)
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup cornstarch
  • 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon pure almond extract
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
  • For the crust
  • Pate Brisee Pate Brisee
  • All-purpose flour, for surface
  • 1 large egg, lightly beaten with 1 tablespoon heavy cream, for egg wash

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Make the filling: Toss together cherries, sugar, cornstarch, vanilla extract, and almond extract in a bowl.
  2. Make the crust: Roll out 1 disk pate brisee to a 1/8-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface. Fit dough into a 9-inch pie plate. Pour in filling; dot top with butter. Refrigerate while making top crust.
  3. Roll remaining disk pate brisee to a 1/8-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface. Cut out 4 or 5 holes using a 3/4-inch round cookie cutter. Place on top of pie.
  4. Trim bottom and top crusts to a 1-inch overhang using kitchen shears, and press together to seal around edges. Fold edges under; crimp as desired. Freeze for 20 minutes.
  5. Brush crust with egg wash. Bake pie on a parchment-lined baking sheet set on the middle rack, with a foil-lined baking sheet on bottom rack to catch juices, until pie is bubbling in center and crust is golden, about 1 hour 45 minutes. Transfer pie to a wire rack, and let cool before serving.

Cook's Note

Pie can be stored at room temperature for up to 2 days.

3 comments:

Hilary said...

Yum! I see nothing wrong with eating hot pie at 10:45 pm. You can't go to bed with a hot pie sitting out untasted!!

Cyndy said...

yummy! And now that I got the whole story...next time don't wait so long to make your pie, I am sure I got a few more teaspoons for your pie!

Susan Anderson said...

Looks wonderful!! And hot pie is my favorite anyway, at ANY time of day.

=)