Sunday, December 11, 2011

On Target

We are really big into weapons around here. (We have two boys that are all boy.) When a weapon is taken away, Hurricane will use his finger to shoot anyone. He will shoot at Underfoot until Underfoot says to stop it. This morning they opened up the greatest weapon - a sling.
Daddy told the story of David and Goliath. He talked about David being obedient to Heavenly Father and not being afraid of the Philistine army. It was tradition in the days of David for the two armies to get together and pick two guys - one for each team to fight it out. Whoever won the fight won the battle. Goliath was HUGE. David was a teenager.
Source
Taunting was very common. When David shows up on the field, Goliath says, "Am I a dog?" Goliath was insulted that a little boy was coming before him, but no one else would fight.

David responds by saying:
The battle is the Lord’s, and he will give you into our hands.


For the advent I made this ornament, and Underfoot was super excited because he thought I was going to make a full size one for him to use. When thinking about the battle, I consider that the battle for my sons may not be to face a flesh and blood Goliath but a battle to stand for truth and to be obedient to ALL the commandments of Heavenly Father.

Russell M Nelson said:
You faithful Saints do not have to fight life’s battles alone. Think of that! The Lord declared, “I will contend with him that contendeth with thee, and I will save thy children.”17 Later came this promise to His faithful people: “I, the Lord, would fight their battles, and their children’s battles, and their children’s children’s, … to the third and fourth generation.”18
Our beloved President Thomas S. Monson has given us his prophetic witness. He said: “I testify to you that our promised blessings are beyond measure. Though the storm clouds may gather, though the rains may pour down upon us, our knowledge of the gospel and our love of our Heavenly Father and of our Savior will comfort and sustain us and bring joy to our hearts as we walk uprightly and keep the commandments.”
President Monson continued: “My beloved brothers and sisters, fear not. Be of good cheer. The future is as bright as your faith.”19  (Source)
Our weapons may be our testimony  in the Savior, Jesus Christ, of his birth, life, teachings, death and resurrection. I hope to keep my own testimony bright.

2 comments:

Susan Anderson said...

Good weapons, indeed.

=)

PS. My grandkids are all boy, too. Weapons are very popular at their house.

Kris said...

I am enjoying your daily dose of what Christmas is really about. Thanks for all of your hard work!