Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Be A Builder

Moving away from home was an exciting adventure. First to college. Then on a mission. And finally with my Sweetheart. Home in my heart will always be Idaho. I know that I have a family now, and our home is where we are living. Yet in my heart, Idaho is my promised land. I love how well I know the land where I came from. I love the people there. I love my growing up and the many, many memories it evokes.

Many prophets talked about how the children of Israel would one day be carried off as slaves because of their disobedience. Yet they were promised they would return to build the walls of their promised land in Jerusalem. Nehemiah returned to Jerusalem and started the work. The people in the land weren't too keen on him doing this work, and tried to trick him to leave his work. He answered them saying, "I am doing a great work, so that I cannot come down: why should the work cease, whilst I leave it, and come down to you?" (source
If the children of Israel were to return to Jerusalem before the birth of Christ, how do we prepare for the Second Coming of Christ? He is promised to return. The signs prophesied of Christ's coming surround us. Russell M. Nelson says:
Why do we need such resilient faith? Because difficult days are ahead. Rarely in the future will it be easy or popular to be a faithful Latter-day Saint. Each of us will be tested. The Apostle Paul warned that in the latter days, those who diligently follow the Lord “shall suffer persecution.”1 That very persecution can either crush you into silent weakness or motivate you to be more exemplary and courageous in your daily lives.

How you deal with life’s trials is part of the development of your faith. Strength comes when you remember that you have a divine nature, an inheritance of infinite worth. The Lord has reminded you, your children, and your grandchildren that you are lawful heirs, that you have been reserved in heaven for your specific time and place to be born, to grow and become His standard bearers and covenant people. As you walk in the Lord’s path of righteousness, you will be blessed to continue in His goodness and be a light and a savior unto His people.2
(source)
(source)
 We can be builders and like Nehemiah not be tricked by what will come. We each have worth in the sight of our Savior and must follow his commandments. I am learning to hope for a home with God and have that be where my heart is at all times.

3 comments:

Kris said...

I like this!

Kris said...

Oh, and I like you! Merry Christmas, Wendy!

Susan Anderson said...

A great and timely reminder, Wendy.

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

=)