Monday, February 7, 2011

Little by little....

The itsy bitsy spider went up the water spout a little at a time. He (I assuming it was a he) got to the top one step at a time. He didn't just jump to the top of the spout. He also kept trying even with getting washed down.
(Image Source)

I was think about the provident living lists that I gave in January and February. As I read through it, I thought, "Oh my goodness, I have only 20 cans meat currently and need 96 cans of meat by the end of the month. OH MY!" That is 76 cans. (It recommends that there are 24 cans on hand for each person in the home.)

As I continued through my thought process, I was glad there were sales on canned meat and that I had a few cans already. So as I thought through it, I can buy to have at least a 1 month supply. For my family of 4, that would only 8 cans. Check! Then I could go and get enough for 3 months. That would be 24 cans. I hope you see where I am going. So I have enough cans for about 6 months. That's not too bad. I can continue to collect! I've bought the laundry detergent and a can opener (a one time purchase).  I keep forgetting to buy the bleach at the store. I keep forgetting. Crazy.....uh? So what's my point.

Gather a little at a time. It doesn't need to an all or nothing for the month. So don't get discouraged. You can do it!

A little story to share: This past week it was cold. Really cold. So much so that an entire neighborhood was without water or heating gas for at a minimum of 24 hours to 3 days. To have even a little on hand is better than nothing. Just to even wash hands or add water the toilet back to flush.

February is not a huge buying month for us. Because we have bought a little a long the way. As I have thought of different grains, there are white rice, hard red wheat, oatmeal, barley, and quinoa. Then there are pastas that go on sale all the time. We store our grains in 5 gallon buckets in a cool place.

The bigger purchase would be a hand wheat grinder. If you know of a good one, I'd love a recommendation.

2 comments:

Susan Anderson said...

I need to entirely revamp my emergency preparedness stuff. It's all ancient, at this point.

I hope to get the job done this year.

=)

Jocelyn Christensen said...

Encouragement..>I needed that! :)