Friday, November 19, 2010

Frozen Lemon Pie & Guest Post: Shaulan

My guest blogger today is Shaulan. Her name means Beautiful Orchid in Chinese. We were roommates.
Mindy (left), Me (top), Hannah (right), Shaulan (bottom)
One of our favorite memories is the night we had a water fight in our apartment above the office. As Mindy, the resident assistant and our good friend, thought that it was raining outside when she looked out one window. When she looked out the other window there was no water. Mindy then looked up. She called and said she was doing rounds in 15 minutes and it better stop raining. The interesting thing is there were 4 of us in the fight but only 3 were wet. I was dry. Amazing how that worked out. Shaulan is the wife of a US Air Force pilot and has lived in different parts of the world. 
Shaulan & her family
What am I Thankful for?

I have so many things to be thankful for that I always have a hard time knowing where to start.

Two big things come to mind when I try to answer that question. One: I am thankful for inspiration. And two: I am thankful for my family and friends- the people in my life that support me.

A few months ago I was feeling very overwhelmed. I was simply overwhelmed with my normal life- being a mother and wife and pregnant with baby number 4. I wasn’t dealing with any tragedies or sicknesses or heartaches. I was just dealing with regular life. And I was starting to be overcome with the feeling that I was almost drowning. I felt like I really needed a break; I desperately wanted to send myself to Time Out for the DAY.

And I felt that if I was asked to do just one more thing, I just might scream. I even told my husband that for my birthday I didn’t want any gifts- I just wanted a day off. I wanted to get a massage and go to the temple and go shopping just for ME. No errands. No driving kids here and there. No cooking. No dishes. And so, it was planned. As soon as my sweet husband could get a day off, he would take it and give me my break. But then, as things often happen, my husband’s work got crazy. He had to start working 12 hour days and did that for two weeks straight without a day off. His work became VERY demanding, and I needed to shift my mindset so I could take over the household 24/7.

We each gave our JOBS our ALL. It was exhausting, but something else was guiding us and supporting us and helping us. And I have no doubt that it was the help of our Savior, right at our side, supporting us. Just when we thought we had reached out maximum, much more was suddenly asked of us. And we have been able to keep up with it and get through it. Just a short time after work had gotten crazy, I was able to attend the General Relief Society Broadcast via satellite at our stake center. I almost didn’t go, but my husband was home that evening. So I went. I enjoyed a nice meal with friends. And then I was struck by the opening hymn: Count Your Many Blessings. Even though my overwhelming feelings had not gone away, I felt like that song was being sung for me. Even though I may be “struggling” I still have so very much to be grateful for. And I am so glad that that was pointed out to me. It was a sweet message to me from the Spirit that I will always treasure.

Now, it has been several months, and I still struggle with the same overwhelming feelings. My husband’s work has gotten better, but he’s still very busy. My schedule is still busy with three wonderful children than have three different schedules.

And now I am coming to the end of my pregnancy, which is always the hard part for me. And yet I continue to try to count my blessings. I was put on bed rest for the weekend, and it has made me immensely grateful for my husband and children. They really rallied around me and took over the household while I rested. They have been so sweet and kind and generous to me. I am also supported by my extended family. I grew up in an amazing family, and my husband’s family is no less wonderful.

They are always a great strength to me. And along with my extended family I include several best friends. I have friends here in Spokane that are always willing to help me- babysit for my many doctor visits and listen to my venting. And I have friends that I’ve made throughout my life that I have an eternal connection with (like you, Wendy) that always seem to call me just when I need them most.

 Thank you Shaulan!

Frozen Lemon Pie
Source: Newspaper Clipping from Grandma's Recipe Box
Ingredients:1 graham cracker crust
3 eggs, separated
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup whipping cream, whipped
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 teaspoons grate lemon peel

Prepared 9-inch graham cracker crust. Reserve 2 tablespoons crumb mixture for garnish. Beat egg white until frothy. Gradually beat in sugar, a little at a time; continue beating until stiff and glossy.

Beat egg yolks until thick;

fold into egg white mixture.

Fold in whipped cream, lemon juice and peel. Pour into graham cracker crust. Sprinkle reserved crumbs over top. Freeze.

2 comments:

Susan Anderson said...

What a wonderful post from your friend. She's lovely. Thanks!

=)

Casey and Brittny said...

I LOVE to hear that others are going through the same things I am. How nice to know that I'm not the only one! What a sweet friend you have, Wendy!